These are amazing! Eat them in a pasta dish or eat them alone like I did!
1/2 cup quinoa, dry
3 large mushrooms, sliced
1 large tomato, roughly chopped
4 tbs of chia seed gelled (egg substitute)
2 sprigs fresh thyme*, stems removed, roughly choppped
1 sprig fresh oregano*, stems removed, roughly chopped
1/4 – 1/2 small onion, diced
2 tablespoons vegan butter (smart balance is my favorite)
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Quinoa – Quinoa is a great source of protein (~6 grams per 1/4 cup serving). It is also a great source of fiber (nature’s perfect scrub brush to help with your body’s housecleaning, healing and beautification work) and is easier to digest than most traditional animal-protein sources (beef, chicken, etc) in a rejuvenating lifestyle.
Thyme – Thyme, similar to oregano, helps to balance the overgrowth of yeast in your body (which is believed to thrive on stress and a poor diet). Yeast interferes with your body’s feel-good work.
Parsley – In Ayurveda, India’s wholistic system of medicine, parsley is eaten in the spring to help your body naturally let go of its winter weight.
1. Prepare quinoa according to directions on box. Set aside. (This is why I always have 2-4 cups prepared and in the fridge at all times)
2. In a frying pan over medium heat, add onion, vegan butter, mushrooms, thyme, oregano, dash sea salt and pepper. Sauté until onion is just soft and fragrant. Toss in tomato and sauté for an additional minute or two.
3. Place contents of frying pan in a food processor and pulse a few times until mushrooms and tomato combine into a chunky salsa.
4. In a medium bowl, toss the mushroom and tomato salsa with the quinoa. Fold in chia seed egg substitute and breadcrumbs. The mixture should be just wet enough to form 6 – 10 mini balls. If not, add a few more breadcrumbs. Place mini quinoa balls on a baking dish.
5. Place baking dish under the broiler for 3 minutes. Flip meatballs and place back under broiler for 30 seconds. Remove and serve sprinkled with freshly chopped parsley, parmesan cheese and a drizzle of good olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Enjoy!
- Welcome to my own little corner of the Web! I love my family and do what I can to leave as little of a carbon footprint on this beautiful earth we call home. We have become a paperless kitchen family! We make a lot of our stuff homemade. I love coffee and web browsing on blogs/facebook/pinterest, healthy organic (GMO free) cooking, and lots of kisses from Chris, Aiden, Coren and Mason...I am complete. I thrive to make our lives better. I have began a new stage in my life for my children. I want to show health to my children and what better way thru our every day life. I'm an essential oil pusher :) also known as a doTERRA Wellness Advocate and love helping people reach there goals that they never thought was possible. Come join our journey into the wonderful world of oils and reclaim your health and get your life back!